Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday 3 July 2010

How could you do this?

The background: 
Friends of the family have a son - JD*. He's just turned 21. Two years ago, he and his girlfriend M* had a gorgeous daughter together - MR. The girlfriend, not even 18 when she was pregnant, moved from the Brisbane Bayside to Biloela in North Queensland with her parents. Her dad is a pastor for a church.


JD didn't even let his own parents know they were having a baby until M was about 7-8 months pregnant. 


Her dad did not - would not -  let JD know when M had gone into labour. Instead, she messaged JD's sister while she was at school because she couldn't get into contact with JD. Finally, JD found out she was in labour. As you can imagine, he was freaking peeved. JD, his dad and his best friend got into the car and drove the 6 hours north west. Thankfully, they made it, by only about an hour. She kicked her parents out and only wanted JD.


M's parents declared that M and JD were engaged, just to look good with his congregation. So they got engaged.


M stayed living with her parents and would travel down to see JD every now and then. When she'd visit, M and JD would spend all morning in bed and get JD's sister and parents to look after MR. M's sister runs a daycare centre. M would drop MR off to her sister Sunday night and the sister would take her to daycare with her, 630am - 630pm, and return her to M. The next day, it'd all happen again. She actually rarely saw her daughter.


One time, JD's mum actually heard M scream at MR "I never wanted you! " Breaks my heart each time I think of that.


TODAY:
I heard today that today was the first time JD actually had one-on-one time with MR, who turned 2 in May.


I also found out today that JD and M have split. M still lives with her parents, but they have moved back to Brisbane.


HOWEVER. Both JD and M don't want to raise MR. I'm sure they want her, just don't want to be a parent right now (which, quite frankly, was obvious from the beginning). 


So, M's parents and JD's  parents have come to an agreement. 


M's parents will have custody of MR during the week and JD's parents will have her on the weekends. 


It has yet to be signed by a solicitor, but so far, that's the agreement. I hope it happens soon, for Mia's sake.


How can this happen? It's so sad! That poor, sweet little girl is abandoned by her parents to be raised by her grandparents. I know there are grandparents out there who are custodians of their grandchildren, but I had always assumed it was because their own kids had passed away, were in rehab or in prison... Never because the kids didn't want them.


How sad. Thinking of poor MR right now.

3 comments:

  1. That's F*cked! Seriously, I know i'm old fashioned about relationships and babies and stuff, but stuff like that re-affirms my views...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now I see what you meant when you asked about my facebook status! I hadn't read this yet...

    So sad that little Mia isn't wanted by her parents - I'd take her in a heartbeat - but it's sorta omforting that her grandparents have stepped in like they have... Just trying to see the positives, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww poor little chicken. On the upside though, at least her parents are giving her to people that will love & adore her & look after her properly.

    So so sad though :(

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear from you!