Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Santa and other issues

I get a lot of my adult conversation in the form of a forum. If you're on that forum, you'll know which one.


I know everyone has their own opinion on everything, and quite rightly so. However, I'm starting to feel like the minority and I disagree with a fair bit that's being said. I don't want to say anything on the forum (hence that my issues are being "voiced" here) coz I don't want to upset the applecart.


Firstly, Santa.  I've got an Australian and a Dutch background. Santa has different customs for both. I have no problem with Santa. Christmas is for giving, and the way I see it, it's really for the kids. For the adults, it's all about seeing the happiness in the children and getting together with family and friends. It doesn't bother me if I get a big present, a small present or no present. As long as my kid is happy. The consensus so far on a thread on this forum is that it's wrong to lie to kids about Santa. There are whole nations that fudge the truth about the war, or those people who use more polite terms to name parts of your anatomy. There is no way that a little white lie is going to do long term harm. It's just my opinion and I feel small for letting my son "know" about Santa.  It's who we are and what we're doing. Not trying to upset anyone, but that's just my view.


Secondly, in a perfect world, I'd love a drug free, unassisted home birth. But there is just no way I can see that happening.  It's not going to be the end of the world for me if I have to have the gas and/ or pethidine, even a c-section. Granted, they're not my not ultimate outcome,  but if I have a beautiful healthy baby at the end of labour, then so be it. But I feel bombarded by those willing to forgo options . Midwives may not know every possible outcome, but they're not stupid either. Have a bit of respect. They spend 3 years learning their stuff, and 10-12 hours a day monitoring and delivering babies, I'm sure they have some sort of inkling of what is going on... They know a thing or two. Ob/gyn's are at university for probably even longer. If they're concerned about some part of your pregnancy, I'm sure they have some cause. If they're concerned that your baby is going to be over 4kg, I'm sure they're worried about the baby AS WELL AS THE MOTHER! There are probably other complications that could arise that they just don't tell you about.  And the glucose test - for gestational diabetes - may not be routine in other countries. If they want to test everyone, then so be it. I'd rather test everyone and catch the few that have it and treat what could be dangerous to mother and baby, than only test "at risk" pregnant women and miss all those not "at risk" if you know what I mean. Be safe rather than sorry. 


I'm not trying to upset readers (coz I know I don't have many), but this is my blog, and this is my opinion.


My gestational diabetes test is today, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I also have a midwife appointment today and hopefully I'll find out the good or bad news about the gestational diabetes test. The midwife, student or otherwise, will be able to answer any questions that I might have and have some suggestions I haven't thought of.


Again, it's my opinion expressed here, and not meant to upset anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scone! I know what you mean, and I agree with you. You don't need to apologise on your own blog for possibly offending someone!!
    We have just done Sinterklaas, and we have Father Christmas coming too, and I LOVE the tradition of that for our kids at Christmas.

    And good luck with your glucose test. And the rest of your pregnancy :) I hope you and your baby are both happy and healthy. That's what matters.
    Rhi x

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear from you!