Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday 28 May 2010

Facebook rant

AAAAHHHHHHHH. F*&K. I told myself I never wanted to swear on my blog, but some people just irk me beyond belief.


The back story.
Andrew's 'friend' from high school (who is creepy and really made the wrong first impression on me) and Andrew have this thing where they try to better each other. I don't think it's a conscience thing though. Anyways, the friend's wife has decided this year that she wants to do a course. She couldn't decide on Teacher's Aide, Aged Care or Nursing. She's put it out on facebook to gauge opinions. Asked me lots of questions (as I've done my cert III Aged Care, that's where I work and I'm studying Nursing). She decided on Teacher's Aide. I'm pretty sure it's only a TAFE course, but don't hold me to that.


However...
I'm a stickler (but you can't always tell) for punctuation and correct spelling and grammar.


In hindsight, this is really petty. The girl (I say girl, but she's 3 years older than me) can't spell. Or use correct grammar. While I'm slaving away at uni, having to write the perfect essay, she's writing her own essays and assignments, handing them in and bragging that she got an A on her assignment (or however it is marked).  Whoop-dee-do, probably only one of those pass or fail (or competent/not yet competent) marks.  She has 2 kids (a 3yo and a 2yo), married and is doing this course from home. The kids go to day care. She doesn't work. Of course she's going to have time to get her assignments done and submitted.


Anyway,  last night she changed her status to talk about her day on prac at school. She said she had a great day, she loved helping the kids with their spelling and  "helped kids compleate a task they wouldnt have normally compleated". WTF? You're teaching kids to spell??


I've commented on her status "I hope one of the spelling words wasn't completed".


I'd had enough. Why should the next generation of kids suffer with poor spelling (and grammar - but for today's rant, it's spelling)?  It's disgusting how they spell. There are many other things wrong with some kids, but for now, it's just their grasp of the English language.


This is not helping.


Today, I check back to see what she's commented in return. It's been deleted!  Um, Facebook is public. If you don't want someone to comment (or criticize) what you say, don't make it your status. Really.


So, and I was completely riled, I created my own status:

wtf? One of my comments has been deleted from someone's status. If you can't handle it, for a start - READ it before you post it, and don't expect me not to correct you. Grow up.


To which the reply was (and I've copied and pasted this) : I was actually saving you from embarrissing yourself. You were the rude one. Sometimes things just dont need to be said. And about the not expecting you to correct me part, Welll then don't!!!

Me: I wasn't embarrassing myself. Sure, I may have been rude. I'm not going to apologise for that.

M (keeping names confidential) has said :
Personally I think everyone has the right to thier own opinion - and I think it's quite rude of YOU to suggest that would be embaressing herself by expressing that opinion! Why put something on your status if you DONT want people to comment??? Seems kind of stupid to me!!!!

Another retort from the girl : Well obviously going by all your comments I'm allowed an opinion too and that was mine. And it's my page I can do as I please. I'm sick to death of facebook fights so how bout we just leave it at that.

I was so angry. You are educating children the WRONG thing.  You have 2 children of your own!?! Wait til they come home with a 4/100 mark on their spelling test. Then we'll see.

Anyway. I put my computer down and did other things, and have come back 3 hours later, to find, I've been removed from her friends list. lol Really. I commented - a sort of constructive criticism. She's removed me. Her loss. She said she was over fights on facebook. I didn't start one. She ended it. 

Ah well.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a stickler too (even though I've made two spelling mistakes on FB today *headdesk*) so I'm really looking forward to one of the "events" coming up - "International 'Correct Every Spelling Mistake You See on Facebook' Week" ;)

    I actually saw this in your status, too, and wondered what you'd done that was so bad! You corrected her? How petty of her to get so riled up about it! You were doing her a favour by pointing it out ffs!

    PS - hate to be a b*tch, but I'm pretty sure you mean "conscious" thing in the second paragraph ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I love you.

    In kinder my son had an aide who was illiterate. Unfortunately for both of them, my son needed written notes to communicate. She would write down an instruction and he would correct the spelling and grammar and hand it back to her.

    It is heartbreaking the amount of people that get into aiding kids in schools just because of the hours. And yes, you are right, it is something like an 8 week TAFE course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, my anti spam word was 'comming'

    bwaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear from you!