Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday 21 June 2010

A Housewife Rant

ARGH! This door mat job does not pay well.


Currently, I am a mother, housewife, student and employee. The first three change positions regularly. The housewife position does seem to be on top most times though... that sounded really odd, but it was meant in the most innocent way.


Today's bitch session is about the housewife/mother part of the job description. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a mother (and will do it again in the next few years hopefully!) But a lot of the time it's more like single parent than being the mummy half of 'mummy & daddy'.


I work 35 hours a fortnight - not much I know, but I work every 2nd saturday and sunday 7am -2pm. I work every Thursday night 230pm - 10pm. I work every 2nd Wednesday (the Wednesday after the weekend worked, iykwim) 230pm - 10pm.  So everytime husband complains that he has to go to work and he's running late, or he comes home and bitches he's tired - he's had a big day don't you know.... I do feel sympathy. But if I complain that I'm tired it's a different story. I don't work like he does. I don't do anything through the day. The house is still a mess, so you can't have done anything.
Well, lets see.  Take a Thursday for example. Thursday's this semester just gone, I'm up before 630, made a daycare lunchbox and a work lunch, gotten J up and dressed, tried to feed him some breakfast while making mine and the husbands, trying to eat it and be dressed and out of the house for daycare by 715 and be at uni by 8 for class. Home again by 11, clean the house, make dinner, try and eat some lunch before leaving again for work at 2pm. Work til 10. Brain wont switch off til about 1130. 


Yep. I'm tired. The Wednesdays are pretty much the same, except I have less time to be at home before leaving for work.


BUT the husband continues to bitch. I asked him the other night to do the dishes, but some veges were still in the steamer. I asked him to put them away as well, as technically, it's part of the dishes.  He argued no. I argued yes. Somehow, I won. Wish I knew how so I can win again next time. He actually DID the dishes! Now folks, this is a rare, nay - freak occurrence and is not likely to occur again anytime soon in the next 3-6 months. It takes months of effort to make this husband do housework. You've heard it here first.


Last night he's not feeling well, so I make him a lemon tea. Ok, now I need help with my exam interview that I have today. At first, he doesn't want to help... Why help your wife with the exam that if she doesn't pass can't go on prac next semester? Finally, he gives in. Probably because I'm asking in the ads while he watches tv. Only, he's being a total wanker answering the questions. One of the questions I asked was "when do you notice the wheeze?"  His answer? "When I breathe in." Fucking hell, I know that. I'm not that much of a stupid student nurse. When it's cold? When you have an allergic reaction? After vigorous exercise? Most people aren't this mean Andrew....


Oh, and when I ask you 5 times to take the bin out because it's full... um, IT'S FULL. TAKE THE BIN OUT! Why do you now think that I have another makeshift bin hanging off the pantry door? And if your dirty snotty tissues don't fit in the bin anymore do you think it's time to take the bin out? Don't leave 2 coffee cups on the lounge room floor. Put your dirty clothes in the dirty clothes basket. No basket in the en suite? There's one in Jensen's bathroom. OR heck, even the basket in the laundry.


Try to look interested when we're at the miniature train for our son to have a turn on them. Don't stand back there when he's coming past waving at you. Make an effort.


Don't sook about "my dad had no time for me when we were kids coz he was always marking, and I don't want to be like that to my son..." He was a teacher. You're a mechanic. You work business hours. Don't bitch about it and then lie on the couch all afternoon.


Don't complain that when Jensen crawls into our bed at 3am and steals the blankets. (he doesn't he sleeps ON the blanket but it has the same effect) Let him crawl into bed. Then, when he's asleep again, take him back to his own bed. I'm not the only one with a pair of legs at that hour of the morning. I don't do it because I'm not his only parent. You have a brain that does  think logically like that - use it. Don't get up and move beds because he's taking up ours, take him to his own room.  Also, Possum Magic can not be read at breakneck speed. It's not that you read him a book, it's how you read it to him. Take the time. He's only little once.


And when I ask, is there anything you need when I go grocery shopping... "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer, especially when I get home 2 hours later and "Oh! Did you get such-and-such?" NO coz you didn't tell me, and despite everything, I'm not  a freaking mind reader.


I can't imagine what the house would look like if I wasn't here.  They'd be eating takeaway, wearing dirty clothes in a dirty house. Probably because neither of them know where the broom is, what our mop looks like (it's one of those one's with the removable/washable pad thing) or how to work the washing machine.


I don't ask for much, but a little respect would be fantastic. To come home from somewhere and have the house spick and span - and not from my doing.


rant over :) Thanks for hanging in there... You deserve a cuppa... or another one coz you may have sat down with one, but you either drank it or it went cold. ;)

2 comments:

Leave me a message! I'd love to hear from you!